Copyright Moc Klinkam; all rights reserved.
These on-line resources provide valuable educational information about canine hip dysplasia, canine elbow dysplasia and other common canine orthopedic diseases and
conditions of the dog and the puppy and their inheritance, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
is the recognized certifying body in the United States for hip and
elbow dysplasia, and other genetic canine diseases. They feature a
database where you can easily look up the hip and elbow evaluations
for thousands of dogs.
- How Hips Are Graded is
explained on the OFA web site with accompanying graphics and evaluative detail.
Two articles reviewing PennHIP and OFA
radiologic protocols for evaluating and predicting Canine Hip Dysplasia (CHD). Drs. Keller and Corley, Diplomates of A.V.C.R. and
principal radiologists of the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA), detail the
research studies and scientific literature that support their position that PennHIP
stress radiography to date remains an inconclusive method for reliable testing and evaluation.
Fred Lanting, PennHIP promotional consultant, responds to some comments posted on Internet email lists with commentary
promoting the PennHIP extraction method to diagnose Canine Hip Dysplasia, and recommends its use over
OFA protocol to screen for CHD.
- Hips, Elbows and OFA by veterinarian Catherine Priddle
reviews evaluation and testing for the Rottweiler. This article is the fourth and last article on the page -- scroll down.)
- Acme Pet presents
Canine Genetics Primer
- Comprehensive series about Canine Hip Dysplasia by John C. Cargill, MA MBA, MS and Susan Thorpe-Vargas, MS including:
- Canine Hip Dysplasia with
a series of radiographs demonstrating sound hips compared with progressively effected dysplastic hips.
- Dr. Hank DeBoer, Schutzhund trainer, championship competitor, and nationally recognized sporting and working dog
veterinarian, shares his expertise and recommendations for successfully evaluating, treating, and
using humane judgment when training the dog affected by canine hip dysplasia.
Cindy Tittle Moore's Hip Dysplasia FAQs
- Cheryl Minnier's
Canine Hip Dysplasia references pathophysiology, diagnosis, prevention
and treatments (including estimated costs) for the disease.
- Cornell University presents
Five Misconceptions about Hip Dysplasia.
Orthopedic Disorders of Dogs includes discussions of many
common disorders on the Tier-Vet Info site.
Six Common Joint Conditions of the Dog by the makers of Adequan.
- Flat Coated Retriever Manual discusses Canine Hip Dysplasia
- Canine Hip Dysplasia by veterinary radiologist P. W. Pennock, Canada's foremost authority on the problem of canine hip dysplasia.
- Development, clinical signs, and treatment of Canine Hip Dysplasia by the Southern California Veterinary Surgical Group
- Canine Hip Dysplasia by Tom Phillips, DVM, MS, PhD focuses on the causes of CHD.
- Hip Dysplasia and Hip Joint Basics by Chick Newman, PhD, DVM
- Signs, Diagnosis, Prevention and Treatment of Hip Dysplasia
- Hip Dysplasia by Dr. G. Siemering and Dr. D. Brehm features radiographs of normal and dysplastic hip joints.
- Canine Hip Dysplasia by Ann L. Reed, DVM, MS, DACVR
Nutrition and Supplementation
Genetics of CHD
Hip Evaluation Schemes
- Interview with Malcolm Willis on Hip Scoring Schemes in the U.K.
- British Veterinary Association (BVA/KC) hip scoring scheme
- British BVA/KC scheme summary
- Sample British Veterinary Association (BVA) hip evaluation certificate
- Hip scoring scheme in France.
- Australia's hip rating scheme with some very nice graphics of the canine hip components.
- International Hip Dysplasia Ratings for Finland, Holland, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, and USA
- Foreign Hip Evaluations comparison chart for OFA, FCI, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and Switzerland.
- FCI Hip Classifications comparison chart for Finland, Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- Certification classifications (USA/OFA, United Kingdom/UK, and Germany/SV) compared to official FCI hip ratings
- Interpreting European Hip Dysplasia includes a table comparing FCI hip evaluation criteria with that of selected European
- Breed Value and the GSD - Breed Value and the SV Zuchtwert System by Fred Lanting
- Martin Wahl summarizes the SV "Zuchtwertsch�tzung" hip rating system, with helpful links to more in-depth information and statistics.
- SV Zuchtwert System (German Hip Rating Scheme on the SV web site (in German)
- Susann Stramm helps translate the SV's HD Zuchtwert system on her Westerode web site.
Canine Elbow Dysplasia
Browse other informative articles in the NWK9 Reading Room. . . .